Political Quasar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Political Quasar Forum

Beware the Quasar

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
micfranklin
Admin
Admin
micfranklin

Male
Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2007-02-18

"Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Empty
PostSubject: "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy   "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 1:02 pm

Quote :
Some readers were shocked and angered by a Friday editorial page cartoon depicting a black man with a smoking gun in his hand standing over a bullet-riddled victim.

"I didn't see nuttin'!" said a little girl standing nearby. "Now that's a good little ho!" said the gunman. Both the shooter and the child wore T-shirts saying "Don't Snitch!"

The cartoon carried a caption: "The new rule of Law!" A billboard in the background depicted more black characters under lyrics, "Rap your life away."

Expressions of outrage came quickly, including from the local president of the NAACP.

"Highly offensive and racist," is how Charles Anderson described the cartoon.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/081907/ope_192392158.shtml

Now here's how I feel:

I'm not exactly offended but I do think it's somewhat racist. What this says is that all rappers are about the same things: violence and sex, and that's what black people enjoy.

But that's only me.
Back to top Go down
https://politicalquasar.all-up.com
scpg02
Cadet
Cadet
scpg02

Female
Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy   "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 1:09 pm

Yeah but there is that grain of truth in there...
Back to top Go down
http://s7.invisionfree.com/Corner_Cafe/
micfranklin
Admin
Admin
micfranklin

Male

PostSubject: Re: "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy   "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 9:20 am

scpg02 wrote:

Not a very big grain but it's still a grain.
Back to top Go down
scpg02
Cadet
Cadet
scpg02

Female

PostSubject: Re: "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy   "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 10:00 am

micfranklin wrote:
scpg02 wrote:

Not a very big grain but it's still a grain.

I think it's bigger than that. Black on black crime runs rampant yet when you see the cops arrest anyone what else do you see, black people yelling at the cops. Black women on camera talking about how their baby is innocent no matter what the evidence against them is.

This cartoon was basically saying that blacks need to start cleaning their own house. Nothing racist about that.

Cosby had it right and I recommend everyone read Juan William's book Enough.
Back to top Go down
micfranklin
Admin
Admin
micfranklin

Male

PostSubject: Re: "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy   "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 10:24 am

When I looked at it, it implied that all rappers endorse the same things: sex, violence, and drugs, which we know is not true. And since most rappers are black, that would also imply that black people think the same thing, which we all know is also not true.

That's not to say Cosby was wrong or anything.
Back to top Go down
scpg02
Cadet
Cadet
scpg02

Female

PostSubject: Re: "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy   "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 10:26 am

micfranklin wrote:
When I looked at it, it implied that all rappers endorse the same things: sex, violence, and drugs, which we know is not true. And since most rappers are black, that would also imply that black people think the same thing, which we all know is also not true.

That's not to say Cosby was wrong or anything.

No it just means we focused on different things.
Back to top Go down
rohrya
Novice
Novice
rohrya

Male
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy   "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 12:39 am

I wouldn't exactly call the cartoon racist but it's not exactly untrue either.
Back to top Go down
BIGmirall
Novice
Novice

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-07-20

PostSubject: Re: "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy   "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 12:00 am

micfranklin wrote:

No but the majority of rappers are rapping about killing people, sex, and drugs. It's really hard to paint a different light on rappers in today's society.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Novice
Novice

Male
Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy   "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 1:09 am

BIGmirall wrote:
micfranklin wrote:

No but the majority of rappers are rapping about killing people, sex, and drugs. It's really hard to paint a different light on rappers in today's society.

Agreed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy   "Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Racist" rap cartoon gets controversy
Page 1 of 1