Political Quasar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Political Quasar Forum

Beware the Quasar

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
micfranklin
Admin
Admin
micfranklin

Male
Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2007-02-18

In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Empty
PostSubject: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 2:16 am

I found an article that was published on the internet just yesterday.

Quote :
Amnesty International (AI) has written to the US Justice Department to express concern about claims that charges filed against six black high school students in Jena, Louisiana, (known as the “Jena Six”) reflected a pattern of unequal treatment of black and white youths in the town.

The six students were charged following a fight in December 2006 in which Justin Barker, a white student, was allegedly assaulted. Justin Barker reportedly received treatment at a hospital for his injuries and was discharged the same day.

The local prosecutor at one point charged five of the defendants with conspiracy and attempted second-degree murder, which could have put them in prison for life. Those charges were dropped on the first day of the trial of Mychal Bell, the only defendant thus far to be tried. Aged 16 at the time of the crime, Bell was convicted in adult court of “aggravated battery” for which he could be sentenced to up to 15 years’ imprisonment.

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAMR511412007

I'm sure everyone who's anyone has heard of this knows what happened and what might be the fate of all six of these boys. I'm still mad that shit like this came from simply beating up a white kid at school.
Back to top Go down
https://politicalquasar.all-up.com
rohrya
Novice
Novice
rohrya

Male
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 5:52 am

I've heard about this case but only bits and pieces of it and I agree that it's unfair for these kids to end up with life in prison over a school fight.
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Novice
Novice

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2007 5:05 am

Jena's had a history of racism from what I've heard and it doesn't really surprise me.

Still it disgusts me that things like this can still happen.
Back to top Go down
VerOmen
Novice
Novice

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 3:56 am

Does anyone know that the case was overturned for one of the kids involved?

Quote :
JENA, La. - A state appeals court Friday tossed out the aggravated battery conviction that could have sent a black teenager to prison for 15 years in last year's beating of a white classmate in the racially tense Louisiana town of Jena.

Mychal Bell, who was 16 at the time of the December beating, should not have been tried as an adult on the battery charge, the state Third Circuit Court of Appeal in Lake Charles ruled.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20779755/
Back to top Go down
rohrya
Novice
Novice
rohrya

Male

PostSubject: Re: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 3:04 am

VerOmen wrote:

Quote :
JENA, La. - A state appeals court Friday tossed out the aggravated battery conviction that could have sent a black teenager to prison for 15 years in last year's beating of a white classmate in the racially tense Louisiana town of Jena.

Mychal Bell, who was 16 at the time of the December beating, should not have been tried as an adult on the battery charge, the state Third Circuit Court of Appeal in Lake Charles ruled.

Bell's still in jail though.
Back to top Go down
VerOmen
Novice
Novice

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 9:37 am

rohrya wrote:
VerOmen wrote:

Quote :

Bell's still in jail though.

Personally I think he deserves a sentence but not one this harsh that involves jail time.
Back to top Go down
micfranklin
Admin
Admin
micfranklin

Male
Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2007-02-18

PostSubject: Re: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 10:24 pm

Guess what? Mychal Bell was released on bail.

Quote :
(CNN) -- Mychal Bell, a black teenager accused of beating a white classmate and who was the last of the "Jena 6" behind bars, was released from custody Thursday after a juvenile court judge set his bail at $45,000.

Bell's release followed an announcement from LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters, who said he would not appeal a higher court's decision moving Bell's case to juvenile court.

Wearing a blue striped golf shirt and jeans, Bell walked out of the LaSalle Parish courthouse a week after an estimated 15,000-plus demonstrators marched through Jena -- a town of about 3,000 -- to protest local authorities' handling of the teens' case.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/27/jena.six/index.html
Back to top Go down
https://politicalquasar.all-up.com
rohrya
Novice
Novice
rohrya

Male

PostSubject: Re: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2007 3:51 am

micfranklin wrote:
Guess what? Mychal Bell was released on bail.

Quote :
(CNN) -- Mychal Bell, a black teenager accused of beating a white classmate and who was the last of the "Jena 6" behind bars, was released from custody Thursday after a juvenile court judge set his bail at $45,000.

Bell's release followed an announcement from LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters, who said he would not appeal a higher court's decision moving Bell's case to juvenile court.

Wearing a blue striped golf shirt and jeans, Bell walked out of the LaSalle Parish courthouse a week after an estimated 15,000-plus demonstrators marched through Jena -- a town of about 3,000 -- to protest local authorities' handling of the teens' case.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/27/jena.six/index.html

He should be grateful he didn't spend the next 20 years behind bars if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
Kerrikins
Novice
Novice

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 2:09 am

I haven't exactly followed the case but from what I've heard it sounds like this was started by some vandals causing a hate crime. Can someone fill me in on all the details?
Back to top Go down
Mateo
Novice
Novice

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 5:54 am

Hasn't this been resolved already?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...   In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In case anyone is concerned with the "Jena Six"...
Page 1 of 1