Political Quasar Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Political Quasar Forum

Beware the Quasar

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
scpg02
Cadet
Cadet
scpg02

Female
Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/ Empty
PostSubject: Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/   Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/ Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 6:49 am

Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?

By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer

CUERO, Texas - Phylis Canion lived in Africa for four years. She's been a hunter all her life and has the mounted heads of a zebra and other exotic animals in her house to prove it. But the roadkill she found last month outside her ranch was a new one even for her, worth putting in a freezer hidden from curious onlookers: Canion believes she may have the head of the mythical, bloodsucking chupacabra.

"It is one ugly creature," Canion said, holding the head of the mammal, which has big ears, large fanged teeth and grayish-blue, mostly hairless skin.

Canion and some of her neighbors discovered the 40-pound bodies of three of the animals over four days in July outside her ranch in Cuero, 80 miles southeast of San Antonio. Canion said she saved the head of the one she found so she can get to get to the bottom of its ancestry through DNA testing and then mount it for posterity.

She suspects, as have many rural denizens over the years, that a chupacabra may have killed as many as 26 of her chickens in the past couple of years.

"I've seen a lot of nasty stuff. I've never seen anything like this," she said.

What tipped Canion to the possibility that this was no ugly coyote, but perhaps the vampire-like beast, is that the chickens weren't eaten or carried off _ all the blood was drained from them, she said.

Chupacabra means "goat sucker" in Spanish, and it is said to have originated in Latin America, specifically Puerto Rico and Mexico.

Canion thinks recent heavy rains ran them right out of their dens.

"I think it could have wolf in it," Canion said. "It has to be a cross between two or three different things."

She said the finding has captured the imagination of locals, just like purported sightings of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster have elsewhere.

But what folks are calling a chupacabra is probably just a strange breed of dog, said veterinarian Travis Schaar of the Main Street Animal Hospital in nearby Victoria.

"I'm not going to tell you that's not a chupacabra. I just think in my opinion a chupacabra is a dog," said Schaar, who has seen Canion's find.

The "chupacabras" could have all been part of a mutated litter of dogs, or they may be a new kind of mutt, he said.

As for the bloodsucking, Schaar said that this particular canine may simply have a preference for blood, letting its prey bleed out and licking it up.

Chupacabra or not, the discovery has spawned a local and international craze. Canion has started selling T-shirts that read: "2007, The Summer of the Chupacabra, Cuero, Texas," accompanied by a caricature of the creature. The $5 shirts have gone all over the world, including Japan, Australia and Brunei. Schaar also said he has one.

"If everyone has a fun time with it, we'll keep doing it," she said. "It's good for Cuero."

Link
Back to top Go down
http://s7.invisionfree.com/Corner_Cafe/
micfranklin
Admin
Admin
micfranklin

Male
Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2007-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/   Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/ Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 4:16 am

This was on the local news last night and it looked like nothing that just an ugly pig. It might just be an ugly pig and nothing more.
Back to top Go down
https://politicalquasar.all-up.com
scpg02
Cadet
Cadet
scpg02

Female
Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/   Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/ Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 9:48 am

I thought it looked like and ugly dog with mange.
Back to top Go down
http://s7.invisionfree.com/Corner_Cafe/
rohrya
Novice
Novice
rohrya

Male
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/   Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/ Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 1:17 am

Holy Shit!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Season Fair
Novice
Novice
Season Fair

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/   Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 5:13 am

I love these things...anyone believe in Big foot? affraid
Back to top Go down
micfranklin
Admin
Admin
micfranklin

Male
Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2007-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/   Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/ Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 1:07 am

Season Fair wrote:
I love these things...anyone believe in Big foot? affraid

Almost as much as I believe in the Loch Ness Monster Neutral
Back to top Go down
https://politicalquasar.all-up.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/   Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has a Mythical Beast Turned Up in Texas?[/
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Political Quasar Forum :: The Science World :: Animals & Nature-
Jump to: